Wednesday 1 October 2014

DALLAS - Why you should be a fan!


When Dallas was announced to be making a comeback in 2012 I was interested to see what the fuss was all about.

My mum had spoken of it, and she and my aunt were keen to have a look at the comeback, to see what had changed, what was new, whether Sue-Ellen was still nursing her drink habit and, of course, whether JR was still the JR they remembered well from back in the day... 

So, I tuned in too... A tad unsure whether I'd get it - or even like it - as American series' had never been my cuppa. Friends was about as American I got! 

The result - I liked it. So much in fact that I went on to buy the full box-set of the one set back in the 70's, which mum and me are working our way through - slowly!

Anyhow, three series later and I love the show. 

The continuity of a show, making a comeback 20 years after its original airing was a brave decision. But the flow has been effortless. From watching the very first few series on box set, the characters are still as scheming, funny and loveable. 

Of course, JR lassoed a place in my heart the first time he was re-introduced in 2012 - 'what a sweet old character' - I thought. Until the true JR shone and shone but even with his trickery and selfishness, the JR charm won me over and I was so sad when Larry Hagman passed away during the filming of the second season. Who shot JR - again! - was a fab storyline, quickly re-written due to the unforeseen circumstances and a touching way to say goodbye to a legend. 

Whispers have it, though, that my beloved JR may be making an appearance during this third season in unseen footage filmed before Larry died. How? Why? I can't wait to see...

My new favourite character since the death of JR, has to be Sue-Ellen. Closely followed by John-Ross, or as his uncle Bobby calls him - JR Junior! 

Sue-Ellen must be a joy for a writer to write for. She's witty, classy and funny, yet also fragile, with a heart of gold. 
She sees JR in her son and wants to make sure that he doesn't make his farher's mistakes. Will John-Ross take heed or is he more like his daddy than he realises?

Bobby is another stand-out, of course. He's a subtle character, I feel. Always in JR's shadow, but happy to be so, I think. 
Bobby was the calm, honest one. Part of me wants to say the smartest of the two brothers... But JR never lost a battle. Apart from his death, so the smart accolade should go to him! Christopher is definitely his fathers son, just as John-Ross is JR's. 

I could write all day long and give intros to all the great Dallas characters - Christopher, Pamela, Elena, Ann. 

But those of you who watch the show know about these already. 

Those of you who don't watch Dallas really should join in and head on over to Southfork!

There's something for everyone. And I'm surprised that I love the show as much as I do. It's addictive viewing! 

There are heart-stopping dramas, action packed fight scenes, risqué affairs, love stories and, of course, lots of arguing over oil! 

The dodging and diving that JR did during his early years, and even through his older ones, had Bobby pulling his hair out at times... The brothers went to war more times than one. Just like their sons are doing now. Sue-Ellen was cheated and lied to by JR, all through their marriage, but she's returned with an unsaid loyalty to, not only JR and John-Ross, but the rest of the Ewing's, too.

As I've said there's something for everyone in Dallas...

Especially as at the heart of the show, is just a loyal family. 

So, go on... Catch episode three of the new series of Dallas on Channel 5 this Wednesday. 

It's on at midnight, mind. So do what I do - Sky+ and watch it over the weekend! 

You'll be glad you did!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think...