Thursday 6 August 2015

EMMERDALE Summer Fate


So far, Emmerdale's Summer Fate has been...great.

As someone who only dips in and out of the villages antics, once I'd seen the 'Summer Fate' trailer, I decided I'd tune in religiously to get my head round the storylines and really try to submerge myself in the drama. And I'm pleased that I have done.
Once I also heard about the Mirror Maze that had been built especially to be demolished, I was even more excited at seeing the scenes. Imagine being lost in a hall of mirrors, trying to get out, while disaster is striking right outside? It makes me feel claustrophobic at the thought.

The helicopter crash has come with no end of controversy, because of the real-life tragedy a couple of years ago. But in my opinion, Emmerdale made a good point of showing how the 'copter was struck and showed the differences between the two. I also read a tweet yesterday, which supported Emmerdale's decision, and noted that soaps do mimic real life scenarios.
I think it would be different if the tragedy had just only occured more recently, and can sympathise with how it may be very difficult viewing for the families of the victims, but differences in the two situations are strong.

On to the CGI and SFX of the actual crash - I was impressed with how the gas canisters blew, and the one that went pelting into the sky reminded me of Final Destination style camera work! When it hit the helicopter, subsequently bringing it crashing into the village hall and Debbie and Pete's wedding reception, I thought this was also a good piece of effect. I wasn't too impressed, however, with the 'copter hitting the hall roof. I don't know if this is anything to do with my work background, so my creative eye looks at things differently, but it wasn't as effective as I anticipated. That aside, and learning today that a real helicopter was used, the overall end result was really good.

The actors also did a great job, and I was even a little put out that the crash interrupted the argument and Pete's heartbreak at finding out about his brother Ross' affair with his new bride, Debbie.
Meanwhile, Val and Diane, who gave a nice bit of humour among the drama, were locked into the Hall of Mirrors by Pollard and co, hoping the sisters will reconcile their differences.
Ross - locked into a van over a cliff edge by Cain, also survived his jump into the freezing waters... He will see the village alight, and run to Debbie's side. But will Pete let him see her, or even let him live?!

As last night's episode opened, the drama didn't end. Poor Ruby was the first victim, and the scenes were emotive, with me especially liking Kerry and Dan's refusal to leave her side, even though they were in grave danger themselves. We saw a softer side to Kerry's usually brash and jokey manner, which was also lovely to see. Dan will have to break the news to his children and his ex-wife, Ali, who's of course Ruby's partner - and apparently he'll struggle to cope during the aftermath.
Adam was saved from the burning car with seconds to spare by Robert and Chrissie, who of course caused this whole shebang! Many of the other villagers were walking wounded, and April's scenes with Marlon were really sweet - as was the acting by the little girl who plays Sarah. At least all of the children were okay - except Kyle, who was reported missing once Joanie awoke.

My first thought's were that Joanie may perish (which of course, she still could!) and leave Kyle in the hands of his biological Dingle family.
Everyone was rushing to find Kyle, as Cain and Pete still searched the rubble for missing Debbie. And when they did, it didn't look good. As Pete and Cain too her to the car, to rush her to hospital, Zak begged Cain to stay behind to help look Kyle.
What's the bets that Cain finds the son he's always rejected? But will Cain survive tonight's episode after going back into the village hall, knowing that the 'copter will blow up at any minute? Little Kyle is hiding under the rubble, seemingly unharmed. Surely Emmerdale won't kill off a child?

Then there's Val and Diane, who look injured in the new trailer - my thought's were that Val, who's been planning her own fake death will, ironically, end up being killed. But I'm now wondering if it will be poor Diane who meets her Summer Fate, leaving Val to serve her sister's wish of owning up to the fraud and doing her time... Now that would be heartbreaking...

More of my thought's will come tomorrow, after tonight's double bill...

MORE SOAPS

DRAMA NEWS

REALITY TELLY GOSSIP

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think...